History of the Library

Historic photograph of the old library, probably from the 1950s.
The New Carlisle Public Library was organized more than 90 years ago by The Progress Club, a group of women dedicated to improving themselves and the town. The women gave of their time and services to maintain a reading room over the Corner Drug Store. The Reading Room moved to various locations throughout downtown New Carlisle. 

In June 1933, the Library was incorporated as the New Carlisle Public Library Association. In November 1936, the property at the corner of Main and Madison streets was purchased and remodeled with funds from the bequests of Frank Johnston and Annette Shroyer. 

In 1997 the Library received a Library Services and Construction Act Title II grant to build a new facility.  The Library moved to its present location at 111 East Lake Ave in March 1999. In May 2002, Trustees approved the purchase of the building next door for library expansion. The purchase was completed on June 3, 2002 and plans were drawn to join the two buildings. Construction was completed in August 2003 and the expanded facility was opened. 

The New Carlisle Library is classified by the State of Ohio as an Association Library. The Library partnered with Tecumseh Local School District to place a 5-year, 0.9 mil levy on the ballot in November 2018. This levy was approved, as was the continuing renewal that was on the ballot in November 2022. The levy generates approximately $78,000 annually. The Library receives the remainder of its funding through House Bill 146, which allows libraries a percentage of state income tax monies. The money is distributed monthly to the Clark County Auditor and divided between the New Carlisle Public Library and the Clark County Public Library.